There is a little bit of a magpie in many of us. We find ourselves attracted to shiny objects and there is nothing better than sterling silver jewellery to make us feel special! Unfortunately though, silver can tarnish and lose its wonderfully white, shiny appearance.
But what is the best way of keeping it bright and sparkly? Do we have to spend hours slavishly cleaning our precious silver? The answer is no. Here are my five top tips for keeping your sterling silver looking at its best.
1. If you have not worn your silver for a while and it has turned dull, gentle rubbing it with an impregnated silver cloth should remove the tarnishing.
Lakelands Town Talk Silver Polishing Cloth, priced at £1.69 will remove finger marks and tarnishing with ease. Slightly more expensive is John Lewis’ Anti-Tarnish Silver Polishing Cloth at £5, but the results are fabulous.
For quick everyday cleaning use soapy water and a cloth or very soft brush, followed by drying with a soft cloth. Simple!
2. If you are not planning to wear your silver for a while, try to keep it packed as air-tight as possible. Small re-sealable plastic bags are a great way of protecting the silver and reducing the amount it tarnishes. Never wrap silver in newspaper as this is the chemicals used in the print are guaranteed to turn it black very quickly.
3. If you store your silver in a jewellery box, place a piece of chalk in the box as well. This helps to absorb some of the moisture, reducing the speed at which the silver will go dull.
4. Silver doesn’t like many chemicals especially those with sulphurs! Foods such as eggs, mayonnaise, onions and salt are all likely to turn your shiny silver black. Your sterling silver won’t thank you for spraying it with perfume or hairspray either and never swim in your silver jewellery as will react to chlorine!
But the best tip of all has to be…
5. Wear it! The more you wear your silver, the less you will need to clean it. When it comes into regular contact with the skin and clothing, there inevitably will be friction which will provide a natural polishing action. This will help it stay looking fresh and keep you looking stylish!